Sunday, January 20, 2008

One more thing guys do.

One more thing guys do.

The other day I wrote a post about some of the things I’m going to teach my daughters that aren’t really covered in books. The kind of things that manipulative guys tend to say to girls. I regret having ever done any of these, but at the bare minimum I’m going to make sure my daughters can see the nonsense coming from a mile away.

And I got a few responses from other dads that have daughters. So I thought I would add one more thing, and maybe ask you to tell me yours. That is, if you’ve got something that would fit in this post, drop me an email.

What’s the new one? I call it the “isn’t that crazy?”

I was reminded of it when a friend told me about a bunch of married friends from church playing strip poker. That’s right, married couples that met at church were regularly playing strip poker together out in California.

Now the obvious question, the one we all asked, was “How does that happen?” How do 8 different couples all agree that maybe playing strip poker with people from church is a good thing to do? It took me about 4 seconds to come up with a guess and it’s pretty simple, someone dropped an “isn’t that crazy?”

Here’s how it works, a guy (girls are also capable but it’s usually a dude) says something outrageous that he heard someone else did. It’s rarely about him and is usually something like “I heard about these people at church playing strip poker.” Then he just waits to see how the room responds. If someone goes, “Ugh, that’s gross,” he’ll immediately respond with, “Isn’t that crazy?” If, however, someone says, “Wow, I haven’t done that since I was in high school,” then he knows the room is at least open to the possibility so he starts working it.

It’s not always in a group situation either or even a verbal statement. Sometimes a guy will wait to see your reaction to some scene in a movie or will leave a magazine open to a page with an article he wants you to read. There are a million ways he can pull this move.

Hopefully, this will never happen to you, but it might. And if it does, please laugh a little and then email me because I like to laugh too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is really really manipulative. I find it hard to believe that men are smart enough to figure out these tricks. ;-)